Everything Changes assuages fears and uncertainty by teaching loved ones of newly recovering addicts how to navigate the often-tumultuous early months of recovery. Beverly Conyers, author of the acclaimed Addict in the Family, again shares the hope and knowledge that she gained as a parent of a recovering addict by focusing on the aftermath of addiction. She outlines the physical and psychological changes that recovering addicts go through, and offers practical tools to help family members and friends:
- build a fresh, rewarding relationship with the addict
- be supportive without setting themselves up for disappointment
- avoid enabling destructive behavior
- set and maintain boundaries
- cope with relapse
- deal with the practicalities of sober living, such as helping the addict find a job and deal with the stigma of addiction.