Friday, September 2, 2016

Challenge Myself: Day #76 Plant Some Veggies

Today is Day #75 of our Nar Anon Group Just For Today Challenge. I am also integrating the Live Happy into my Challenge. The Live Happy Challenge for today is to plant a vegetable garden for your family.

The book says,

You consciously choose to eat healthier, avoid purchasing packaged foods,and by organic whenever possible. Still how can you be certain that your food hasn't been treated in some way with agents you want to avoid (such as those that may cause cancer).

Try growing your own food.


Plant a postage sized stamp garden and do companion plantings, (that is placing plants known to repel specific pests next to plants that attract those plants) to keep down the population.


You don't need much space for a small kitchen garden, but if space is a major consideration, you can grow your veggies in pots and planters on the patio.


Freshly picked tomatoes, peppers, and other vegetables taste far superior and have greater nutritional value than their shipped warehouse counterparts.


You'll be happier eating organic food from your garden.


We plant a little veggie garden each year. I also have a small herb garden. What we don't eat will get canned. I don't have a very big yard, but am grateful for the space I have to grow a small garden.

We also forage for foods growing wild. In the springtime the mustard greens are abundant around here. Then in late June/early July going out to pick wild raspberries. Throughout the summertime I forage for wild herbs and other berries.

I share our veggies with some of my elderly neighbors, my parents and friends and family. Do you have a garden? Has anyone had any luck with the patio gardens? If so, which veggies grow best in containers?

Just For Today: I am very thankful for this years garden and the foods that we have grown.

pic from: Pinterest
post from: Live Happy

No comments:

Post a Comment