Sunday, March 5, 2017

(Book) Don't Let Your Kids Kill You

This is a book suggestion I am adding to my own want to read list. My kids are grown up adults. None of them live in our home and yet the stress of their addiction floods my home. It brings negative energy into our home because I probably allow it.

It brings unnecessary drama into our home again because I have allowed it. Then they twist it around blaming me for the drama when I kirk out. Honestly, I am at my wits end. I do not know how to do this anymore. When I try, it seems to be the wrong thing. When I speak it is only the angry addicts mom speaking. I am then accused of saying the wrong things.

Only I have the power to stop the madness which is why I am adding this book to my want to read list.

This is a self-help recovery guide for parents in the devastating situation of realizing that they are powerless to stop their children from self-destruction through drug and/or alcohol abuse. It is dedicated to letting parents know when it is time to start saving themselves from being dragged along to destruction as well, and to providing skills that prevent it.

The book relies on spiritual but practical teachings and the message is for parents to attain a healthy balance in their lives through the letting go process. While showing parents how to safely distance themselves from the child's destructive patterns, it also shows how to recognize and support healthy requests for real help, if and when they come. It includes anecdotes and quotes from parents who have had to cope with kids on drugs and/or alcohol.

This book was written by Charles Rubin and is available on Amazon for Kindle and in Paperback and Audio

No comments:

Post a Comment