Thursday, February 16, 2017

Challenge Myself: Day #187 Making a Mistake

Today is Day #187 of the Just For Today Challenge. I am also integrating the Live Happy into my daily Challenge. The Live Happy Challenge for today says we need to admit to our superiors when we have made a mistake.

The book says,

It is often difficult to admit to your superiors that you made a mistake. However, doing so demonstrates your sense of responsibility and willingness to shoulder the blame.

Taking responsibility for a screw up by you or your team shows your managers and boss that you are a person with values and moral principles.

Although a mistake has been made, you'll be better off admitting it and moving forward than deceiving, lying, or covering up the error, all of which can have disastrous consequences for you later where the truth is finally found out.

Now, this can be a big oops or a little oops. What if that oops is going to get you written up? A few months ago I made a mistake on my job when I counted something to zero. It reflected a zero balance on our inventory.

When it was brought to my attention I immediately apologized. It was my mistake. I owned it. I was sorry for it. I was sorry that another had to go recount that entire location to correct my mistake. I was happy that it was used as a training tool for me. I will make sure in the future that I pay better attention.

Just For Today: I will admit when I made a mistake, even when the only words I can offer is I am sorry.

pic found @ bethkimmerle
From the book: Live Happy

No comments:

Post a Comment