Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Challenge Myself: Day #57 Be A Better Parent

Today is Day #57 of our Nar Anon Group Just For Today Challenge. I am also integrating the Live Happy into my Challenge. The Live Happy Challenge for today is learning to be a better parent.

The book says,

If you want to be the best parent you can be, sign up for parenting classes. Such classes can often be found through parent teacher organizations, local adult education courses, the family court system and even online.

Learn what to expect from your child as he or she goes through the various stages to adulthood. Discover techniques for discipline that do not involve yelling, spanking, screaming, or arguing.

Understand why children need boundaries and guidelines as they grow. Invest a little time in becoming a better parent if you want to raise strong, self sufficient, well-adjusted, happy children.

Now when we were raising our kids we had to rely on the trusty Dr. Spock books for advice. My mother despised Dr. Spock and his books on parenting advice and told me often how much she hated his books. Was she right?

If anyone is keeping count of How Dr. Spock Destroyed America then I guess you can count us in your numbers for your poll.

Once our kids are adults we don't really get any do-overs. I know I made mistakes. I know we were dysfunctional in many ways. There were times that our children got a hand smack or spanked. 

We took our kids to church, we taught them right from wrong. We were (and still are) a two parent working family. My kids were not latch key kids. I really wish that I could have been a stay at home mom, but making our home work meant having two incomes.

Now, we weren't perfect. We made our share of mistakes and admitted and owned them.


Just For Today: I am grateful for my family unit. I am grateful for the experiences and lessons I have learned within my family.

pic found at: stickfigure clipart
From the book: Live Happy

No comments:

Post a Comment